The Busy Mom’s Guide to the Gilmore Girls: Part 1 (Seasons 1 and 2)
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Today is Friday, October 7th, 2016. There are 7 weeks until Thanksgiving, which means there are 48 days until Thanksgiving. You’re a busy mom but you like to be in the “know” and you know that come Thanksgiving day your Facebook News Feed, Snaps, Instastories and Tweets are going to be all lit up like a Christmas tree with one thing and one thing only: Gilmore Girls. I get it; maybe you were a hardcore high achieving student in college, maybe you were in upper elementary school and your mother didn’t want you watching Gilmore Girls, or maybe you just had better things to do with your time than tune in every Tuesday night at 8pm to The WB (now known as The CW). Whatever the case, you’d have to be living in an underground bunker Kimmie Schmidt style to not understand that the greatest thing to happen to Stars Hallow is coming in 49 days. You cannot miss it but you have wee ones with you all of the time and you are tired. I have done the research for you, as well as watched each season at least three times. I proudly present to you: The Busy Mom’s Guide to the Gilmore Girls.
The Busy Mom’s Guide to the Gilmore Girls – The first 11 episodes you must watch to better understand Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life coming to Netflix on Thanksgiving Day.
1.“Pilot” 1.01 – The very first episode in the series is as typical as most pilots are (it takes a few episodes for the cast to really find their groove) but the most important characters are introduced: Lorelai Gilmore (Lauren Graham), Rory Gilmore (Alexis Bledel) and Emily & Richard Gilmore. You also have your first glimpse into the four key relationships of the show: Lorelai and Rory, Rory and Emily & Richard, Lorelai and Emily & Richard, and Lorelai and Luke Danes.
2. “Rory’s Dance” 1.09 – So Rory has a boyfriend, Dean Forester (Jared Padalecki), and they go to Rory’s first formal dance for the private school she attends Chilton Academy. They have a wonderful time at the dance; alas, all that is ruined when Rory and Dean innocently fall asleep together after the dance. This sends Loreali (Rory’s mom) and Emily (Lorelai’s mom) into World War 3 over who is the worst mother.
3. “Christopher Returns” 1.15 – Christopher is Rory’s dad and Lorelai’s high school sweetheart who randomly shows up in Stars Hallow at the end of the previous episode. Fast track to the Gilmore weekly dinner that features not only the Gilmores but Christopher’s mom and dad too. This is the very first time that Rory is meeting her paternal grandparents and boy does it turn out to be a doozy! Christopher and Lorelai end up getting jiggy with it on the balcony and when Christopher spontaneously proposes to Lorelai she rejects him because he’s simply not ready for the responsibility.
4. “The Breakup, Part 2” 1.17 – Dean and Rory break up in episode 16 because Dean declares his love for her during their three month anniversary dinner that he so thoughtfully planned. Rory just couldn’t say the words, “I love you too” and this causes big, tall Dean’s little heart to be crushed. Lorelai tries to help Rory but Rory will not tell her why she and Dean broke up. The unresolved feelings Rory is experiencing brings up Lorelai’s own unresolved feelings towards Mr. Max Medina (Rory’s teacher from Chilton).
5. “Love, Daisies and Troubadours” 1.21 – Lorelai and Max are getting pretty heavy but all things come to a screeching halt when Luke’s (yeah the owner of the diner aptly named “Luke’s”) girlfriend, Rachel, accuses him of being in love with Lorelai. Oh and Rory finally musters up the courage to win Dean back.
6. “Red Light on the Wedding Night” 2.03 – Lorelai and Max are engaged and during her bachelorette party, Lorelai decides to give old flame Christopher a call and that really makes Lorelai question whether or not she’s really ready to marry Max. And then Luke builds Lorelai chuppah for her wedding.
7. “Nick & Nora/Sid & Nancy” 2.05 – Luke has a nephew named Jess (played by Peter Petrelli, uh, I mean Milo Ventimiglia) who moves in with him unexpectedly.
[ctt template=”4″ link=”xym4c” via=”yes” nofollow=”yes”]The Busy Mom’s Guide to the Gilmore Girls: Part 1 #gilmoregirls #netflix @firsttimemommn[/ctt]
8. “The Bracebridge Dinner” 2.10 – I love this episode purely because it captures the heart and soul of Stars Hallow. Plus, we get to see more Lorelai and Luke bonding along with Rory second guessing her feelings towards Dean because of the new guy in town, Jess.
9. “It Should’ve Been Lorelai” 2.14 – Big time revelations for Lorelai in this episode: Christopher comes to town with a new serious girlfriend, Sherry, who wants to bond with Rory. Lorelai allows Rory to skip Friday night dinner with the grandparents so she can get to know Sherry. That’s when, in a fit of emotion, Emily admits that she always thought Lorelai would end up with Christopher.
10. “Lorelai’s Graduation Day” 2.21 – Lorelai is graduating from business college and Rory should be there celebrating her mom’s big day…but wait she’s with Jess in New Jersey.
11. “I Can’t Get Started” 2.22 – Sookie and Jackson get married. ‘Nough said right there. Plus, Lorelai and Christopher’s relationship is going well until girlfriend, Sherry, shares some life changing news.
Daphne · October 7, 2016 at 9:28 am
Already started re-watching it yesterday!!
Bert @ First Time Mom MN · October 7, 2016 at 9:53 am
Meaghan Flanagan Angle · November 17, 2016 at 10:38 pm
You’ve convinced me. I’ve got it queued up on Netflix
Bert @ First Time Mom MN · November 18, 2016 at 9:10 am
Oh good!! You’ll enjoy it I promise.
Comments are closed.